Junction Style Guide Question

Moderator: Unholy

Junction Style Guide Question

Postby IMDashti » Wed May 22, 2019 10:56 pm

In the Junction Style Guide article, you have a section about two-segment loops (https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Loop#Two-segment_loops).

My question is: what if I have a situation created by 2 one-way segments connected in reverse at both ends but with turn arrows disabled at both ends to prevent returning back to the other segment? Is this a type of loop that can get Waze confused?

To make it easier, see this situation:

https://www.waze.com/editor?env=row&lon ... ,365705605

Do these two segments (considering that they are one-way with return arrows disabled) create the same confusion you talk about in the JSG?!!
IMDashti
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:01 am
Location: Sabah al-Salem, Kuwait
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Junction Style Guide Question

Postby PesachZ » Thu May 23, 2019 3:08 am

IMDashti wrote:In the Junction Style Guide article, you have a section about two-segment loops (https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Loop#Two-segment_loops).

My question is: what if I have a situation created by 2 one-way segments connected in reverse at both ends but with turn arrows disabled at both ends to prevent returning back to the other segment? Is this a type of loop that can get Waze confused?

To make it easier, see this situation:

https://www.waze.com/editor?env=row&lon ... ,365705605

Do these two segments (considering that they are one-way with return arrows disabled) create the same confusion you talk about in the JSG?!!

Moderator Note: this post was split off from the wiki update page for the JSG

Hello IMDashti,
First of all I moved this post into it's own thread, since the thread you posted on has been dormant for over two years. We try not to start best conversations on top of very old dormant threads here.

Now to answer your question: the short answer is Yes, this example is also a problem.
One reason we avoid a two-segment-loop is because in the client it can cause a display issue. Because of how the client so draws routes (the purple line for navigation), such a loop could end up with the people line drawn over the wrong segment.
Imagone you are driving and in the app approaching this junction you see on the map the arrow and purple line showing you to take the wrong side, even though the instruction would still be correct and say "keep left" (see image below). That is one issue this can cause, and a simple fix is to add an extra junction node in middle of one of the segments.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190522-225900.png
Navigation on wrong side of 2 segment loop
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 119 times
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC}
Has thanked: 1997 times
Been thanked: 2353 times

Re: Junction Style Guide Question

Postby IMDashti » Thu May 23, 2019 7:24 am

I now understand the problem. However, I wish that the 2-segment loop section of the guidance can be amended to make this problem clearer. One suggestion is this (my edit in italic):

"... but the app needs to tell you which segments to drive on, regardless of the nature of these segments like direction and type."

But someone with better English skills might make a better suggestion.
IMDashti
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:01 am
Location: Sabah al-Salem, Kuwait
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Junction Style Guide Question

Postby PesachZ » Thu May 23, 2019 2:35 pm

IMDashti wrote:I now understand the problem. However, I wish that the 2-segment loop section of the guidance can be amended to make this problem clearer. One suggestion is this (my edit in italic):

"... but the app needs to tell you which segments to drive on, regardless of the nature of these segments like direction and type."

But someone with better English skills might make a better suggestion.

I looked at the text and I think I understand your concern. However the page you are looking at is in the old Legacy Wiki which we as a community are no longer using, and no longer updating. We have switched to the new Wazeopedia where you should be looking instead, which has all the updated and new pages. The new Wazeopedia has a general global section (based on the old wiki), and customized individual sections available for each local community as well.

Based on you comments I made the following change in the USA local wazeopedia page, if you think this makes the page easier to understand and addresses your concern, I suggest you propose to make this same change to the Global and/or your local Wazeopedia page(s).

original wrote:Two-segment loops create a situation called "same endpoint drivable segments" or "same connection segments". There are two or more ways to get from one junction node to another without going through any other nodes. They can cause a problem for the Waze app because the routing server gives your mobile app a list of node ids, but the app needs to tell you which segments to drive on. If there are two ways to get from one node to the next without going through any other nodes, then the Waze app might just have to guess. It might guess a detour off the highway through a service road or scenic overlook. Please save Waze from this silliness. Correct two-segment loops.


update wrote:Two-segment loops create a situation called "same endpoint drivable segments" or "same connection segments". There are two or more ways to get from one junction node to another without going through any other nodes. They can cause a problem for the Waze app regardless of the direction, or other attributes of the segments. This is because the routing server gives your mobile app a list of node IDs only, but the app needs to tell you which segments to drive on. If there are two ways to get from one node to the next without going through any other nodes, then the Waze app might just have to guess. It might guess a detour off the highway through a service road or scenic overlook. Please save Waze from this silliness. Correct two-segment loops.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC}
Has thanked: 1997 times
Been thanked: 2353 times


Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users