For Professional Truck Drivers

Moderator: Unholy

Re: For Professional Truck Drivers

Postby commissar0617 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:56 am

SkiDooGuy wrote:Unfortunately this is a very hard feature to implement.

It has been inquired about several times, but long story short, don't expect it any time soon.

There are several MAJOR hurdles to overcome when considering trucks. Not the least of which include things like GVWR and road weight limits, seasonal weight restrictions, and heights of the trucks and overpasses.

Getting things like weight allowances and bridge heights would be paramount to that feature otherwise trucks would be routed down places they cannot go.

i mean, i drive a tow truck, and we're still usually subject to truck restrictions, but i'd settle for just being able to set vehicle type as truck, and not be routed down roads closed to CMVs. bridge height and GVW limits is not as difficult a prospect as you might think. most places already have such information published, i could probably have the entire city of st paul done in a day or less
commissar0617

Postby mbowler2010 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:47 pm

I'm a web developer currently tossing around the idea of making a waze like app for truckers/rvers. What requirements would you guys like the app to have? Obviously height and weight restrictions but what else?
mbowler2010

Postby sidaorb » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:59 am

Surely a very simple solution would be to have an add button for users to place height, weight and width restriction points to the current map, these would then be visible to other users. Maybe on a separate on/off switch for this feature would mean 'car' drivers could disable it, similar to a POI catagory.
sidaorb

Postby jm6087 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:43 pm

sidaorb wrote:Surely a very simple solution would be to have an add button for users to place height, weight and width restriction points to the current map, these would then be visible to other users. Maybe on a separate on/off switch for this feature would mean 'car' drivers could disable it, similar to a POI catagory.

How would this be a very simple solution. Even if adding the button were simple, the volunteers would need to get the data to add and the app would have to be programmed to accept the data and differentiate between vehicle types.

Just because you can say it is "a very simple solution", doesn't mean that the actual coding is as simple as you think.
jm6087
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SkiDooGuy » Fri May 17, 2019 7:57 pm

Again, a lot of it comes down to liability on Wazes part. If they say an overpass is a certain height and it’s not true, they run the possibility of a lawsuit if the truck impacts the bridge.

Would it necessarily hold up in court? I have no idea, I’m not a lawyer. But I know that’s one of their reasons for not having a truck mode on the roadmap.
Assistant Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
LC: Canada, USA
CM: Canada, USA, Palau
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators

Previous

Return to Waze Professional Drivers