For Professional Truck Drivers

Moderator: Unholy

For Professional Truck Drivers

Postby Roadeo1 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:06 pm

Would it be possible for WAZE to have a CDL-A GPS version? Meaning the system would avoid low bridges and restricted routes and bridges?
Roadeo1

Re: For Professional Truck Drivers

Postby Spondzile » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:28 am

+1
That would be an epic ubdate and also It gives you a lot of new users !
Spondzile

Postby SkiDooGuy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:34 pm

Unfortunately this is a very hard feature to implement.

It has been inquired about several times, but long story short, don't expect it any time soon.

There are several MAJOR hurdles to overcome when considering trucks. Not the least of which include things like GVWR and road weight limits, seasonal weight restrictions, and heights of the trucks and overpasses.

Getting things like weight allowances and bridge heights would be paramount to that feature otherwise trucks would be routed down places they cannot go.
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby byefelecia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:43 pm

I would imagine RVers and folks with horse trailers would be interested too, not just professional drivers.
byefelecia

Postby Faelandaea » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:20 am

As a truck driver I would love this. Right now I use Waze for reports on hazards seen by the community, but have to rely on other apps for truck routing for clearances, etc. If Waze ever gives an option for Truck Drivers to have these sorts of routing, especially clearances and bridge weight restrictions, it would be epic.
Faelandaea Nicholas Dravin
Class A CDL Driver
Faelandaea

Postby NicolasWaisman » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:54 am

What if we gather a considerable number of volunteers to be available to map just all those new features?
I personally consider bringing truck drivers to the ecosystem will render a more secure environment for all of us.
NicolasWaisman
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby iainhouse » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:03 am

Unfortunately, we already have a considerable amount of volunteers to map these features - the current Waze map editors.

We've been asking Waze for years to add things like height, width, length, weight restrictions: things that would benefit drivers of trucks of all sizes, RVs, people towing large trailers, large SUVs and so on. The answer from Waze HQ has been a consistent "we're not going to do it".

The map editor currently allows us to define restrictions based on vehicle types like "towing", "truck", "RV" but since there is no fixed definition of these vehicles - and most definitions would depend on a specific weight/length/width/height - they are worse than useless. They are an insult from an HQ who have said they aren't going to implement those vehicle types in the app either.

I don't want to crush your hopes. I applaud your wishes and would dearly love to improve Waze to cater for vehicles beyond "standard" cars and motorcycles. But realism suggests that self-driving vehicles with all these checks built-in may arrive sooner than Waze support. :(
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby jpartain89 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:28 am

Ok, so I have a few thoughts on this exact subject....

First off, my trucker boyfriend HATES the existing GPS systems that semi-truck drivers are essentially REQUIRED to purchase in order to perform their jobs at all! They are based off of old, outdated coding standards from the pre-google maps era of the internet.... Not to mention the fact that if you don't get the system that says "FREE LIFETIME UPDATES", you have to pay for any updates!!

Second, the last time I ran with him, I had Waze running on my phone while his GPS was running, and basically until you're inside of a city, they are more or less the same routes.

Third, the information clearly exists out there, somewhere, since these GPS companies are providing a product with it (weight limits, height limits, etc.). I'd imagine that this information is in the same places that we already are utilizing to help us build out Waze's maps (city, state, US-wide websites). Its just the matter of pulling it in/having users input just like everything else we've all done here.

Fourth, and possibly the most lucrative part!?!? Not only would truckers most likely pay for this! (either a small monthly fee or an upfront price cheaper than the current systems), but the largest companies would most definitely be up for it, just from a safety perspective! Then, with the possibility of building in the various tracking systems that these companies utilize, this could be a huge income!

The majority of the information is already inside of Waze! It would be just as simple as adding in the heights for bridges (which is already a "partial" editing field in the Waze map editor), the weight restriction for bridges (which could be a simple addition) and "no truck routes" which is just another "turn restriction" addition.

I honestly believe adding trucking routes would be a huge boon to not just Waze and its user base - adding hundreds, if not thousands of truckers - but it would be a HUGE data set that Google could then also utilize! I just honestly see no downsides whatsoever!
Greater Dallas, Tx Area Driver
iPhone 6s Plus Sprint - Waze Beta 4
jpartain89@gmail.com
jpartain89

Postby adhdbankai » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:11 pm

well tomtom sells nav systems for trucks little difference is only that you can put in height and that height is mapped on the map of course,, they price was a bigger difference in the device,,

but i agree adding an option to waZE making a truck as vehicle type allowing the user to set height of his vehicle ,, would increase the amount of waze users immense ,,, ,, and the mapping of the bridges / viaducts or other overhanging obstacles we truck drivers face on their road have the obligation to map it if we get such option ,, we waze users have our wayze of helping out right

wouldn't mind if the height option would be premium feature if its very affordable priced
adhdbankai

Postby ClodfelterRV » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:52 pm

We have a 37’ fifth wheel and would love to be able to set height and details also. Then we could use one app for all.
ClodfelterRV

Next

Return to Waze Professional Drivers